TO RETURN TO ANDREA'S WEB SITE, CLICK HERE: www.andreaboeshaar.com

Friday, May 11, 2012

The Indelible D.M. Webb

I'm pleased to host author D.M. Webb on my site today. If you're not familiar with her work, the following is her bio:



D.M. Webb drew from her experience as a volunteer firefighter and EMR to write with accuracy about the main characters, a firefighter and a police officer. Webb lives, along with her two sons and a variety of pets, in the beautiful state of Mississippi. She is an active member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW). 




Her latest novel is called Mississippi Nights. Here's a blurb; 




Two brothers, one death. When Firefighter David Boyette’s fiancee perishes in a car fire, he blames his brother, Sgt. Jeremy Boyette, for her death. Three years later, David returns home with a dark and devastating secret. With the help of family, a woman’s love, and a small child’s devotion, can David overcome insurmountable odds as he and Jeremy face the bitterness that enslaves him? Together the brothers must decide if the bond of brotherhood is stronger than resentment and hate.







It looks like an exciting story! My son was a flight paramedic. He was the guy they lowered down on the chord from the helicopter, so I know from hearing his accounts how harrowing that profession can be. I'm so grateful to all police and rescue personnel for their service!!
And, D.M., I can't wait to read your book!

NOTE TO MY READERS: D.M. has agreed to do a book give-away & a praise CD here on Everything Writerly, so please leave a comment at the end of the interview. Your name will be entered into the drawing. D.M. will choose the winner on Sunday evening or Monday AM, so be sure to check back to see if you won.

AND NOW FOR MY INTERVIEW WITH D.M. WEBB!


1.    What genre do you write in? (Historical, contemporary, romance, etc.)
      I write mainly contemporary, but I do have a “starters” for a fantasy, four science fictions, and a thriller. Plus, I’ve finished three children’s stories.
   
2.    What motivates you?
      Motivates me? My never ending, never ceasing, never slowing brain. Thoughts, ideas, and “what-ifs” pop around in my head. Then there is the motivation of “wanting” and “needing” to tell a story.

3.    How does your faith affect your daily life?
      I wake up and ponder my dream, a quick conversation with the Lord, and a heartfelt prayer all before I slide my legs over the side of the bed. Then there is another prayer to help me get up, especially when I just want a few more minutes (please!). Prayer in the shower, prayer while cooking, prayer while sitting my children down for lessons (I home school), and prayer while doing chores. It isn’t always a verbal prayer, but I always have some kind of conversation running in my mind. Of course, sometimes I just hear “Peace, be still”, in other words, God is telling me to “shut up and listen”. LOL. My faith defines me.

4.    How much spirituality do you weave into your story?
      A dash plus a pinch. Not too much, because I want to draw in the secular world, but not too little because I want to uplift the Christian world. I like to show real life, real people, and real faith. One character may be like me and have a running dialogue and another may be subtle in his/her faith. It becomes a balancing act, but I don’t dilute anything. *shudder* Just the thought of watering down Jesus gives me the willies. LOL.

5.    What is your general purpose as an author?
      To tell a story that will reach out and touch people, to weave the treasured tales of romance, drama, and action into a story, to write what needs writing--all of this is the general purpose. Good thing you didn’t ask for specifics, huh?

6.    What is your greatest challenge in your writing?
      The greatest challenge is actually sitting my “buhunkus” down in the chair and actually write. I’m easily distracted by nature, pets, and other things in my life as a widowed mom of two.

7.    What message do you hope to convey to readers, either in this latest book or in all your books?
     That as people, Christians or otherwise, we are all flawed, but not beyond salvation. No one is above another and there will always be someone out there to help. I deal with issues from alcoholism, drug abuse, child abuse, suicide, and loneliness, to name a few. I want to show how the love of Christ and family/friends will help a person through even the most difficult times in life.

8.    Do you believe there is evil in the world and, if you do, how do you portray it in your novels (or do you portray evil in your novels?
      Oh, goodness yeah. Evil abounds and walks daily in this world. I portray it through my characters and their sin: anger, addiction, etc. My next book deals with murder and exhortation. Who knows how it will be portrayed in other novels!

9.    As an author, what are your goals for the future?
       Write, live, love, write, write, do a lot of sighing, and then more writing. In all seriousness though, I follow where God leads me, one stepping stone at a time, and even I don’t know where that future is going.

10.  Did you ever have a memorable book-signing? (Sad, humorous, or awesome?) If so, please share it.
      First signing--made a beautiful friendship with the people. It was suppose to be at a Barnes & Noble, but the manager was sick and had forgotten to tell her assistant what to do, so it was cancelled at the last moment, right after I finished my TV interview. My publisher raced around and found a store willing to host a signing on short notice. Sold quite a few books with them, too. Talk about God placing me where He wanted me. Then my second signing was awesome. An independent store, during a downtown festival (and I saw Elvis! -- a paramedic actually, but kid you not, he looked like Elvis). The fourth signing was with a neighboring Barnes & Noble, and it went super awesome well. Met so many people.  So far all the signings have been memorable, each in its own unique way.

11.  Is or was there a person in your life who made a remarkable difference in your writing? Who (if you want to disclose his or her identity) and why?
      Had an English teacher in 11th grade that nurtured my gift of writing. I listed Mr. Kilpatrick on my dedication page. My family, friends, and new friends each encourage me. People who read my book encourages me. Every one of them makes a difference in my life and my writing. I really can’t pinpoint just one earthly person.

12.  How do you deal with rejection letters or an irate reader?
      I shrug. Rejection letters came with my children’s stories. Mississippi Nights was never rejected. My first contact was my publisher now (another instance of following God blindly). As for an irate reader, haven’t met one yet, but when I do I will ponder his/her comments. If it’s helpful, I will make a note. If it’s vicious and mean-spirited, I’ll file them away in the “duh” file.

13.  What’s next for you as an author? Any books in the hopper?
      Hopefully more signings. Trying to type my way through the second novel. Already starting my third, which will probably be my second and my second will become my third, if my fourth doesn’t decide to jump the gun and become my third which will lead to my third being my second, my second being my fourth, and my fourth being my third. (just went a little Marx Brothers on you). I just write and as I said before, follow God. He just might throw me a 180 or take me for a loop-de-loop. Who knows. It’s life. LOL.


Remember: Free give-a-way of Mississippi Nights, plus the worship/praise CD of Angel Dean’s Light Me on Fire (the singer who graciously allowed my publishers to use his song for my book trailer, which can be viewed on YouTube.com--Mississippi Nights Book Trailer)

Thank you, D.M. for stopping to chat with me on Everything Writerly. I wish you all the best with your new book!





















4 comments:

Sharon said...

Great interview Andrea and D.M.

D.M. - I admire that your prayer life is constant. While I struggle with trying to do things on my own, God gently reminds me that He is right beside me and that I am not alone. I just have to lean.

Looking forward to reading Mississippi Nights, sounds like an exciting story.
Sharon

Edgy Inspirational Author said...

This book does look good. One of the hardest things to do sometimes is to wait on the Lord and trust Him to know what is best.

Joyfulhutch(at)msn(dot)com

Daphne Self said...

Sharon: contact me at dmwebb2009(at)gmail. You win a copy of the book & CD. I appreciate your comment.
Michelle: you, too, will receive a copy of my book. I'll contact you soon. I'm glad someone else understands how hard waiting & trusting can be.

Andrea said...

Congrats to BOTH our winners -- and thanks, Daphne, for being my guest on Everything Writerly.